Yeah, yeah, you have to be home by
10pm (UPDATE: midnight)--in theory. But Bangkokians are coming up with pretty creative ways to keep partying despite the military takeover. Here's how:
UPDATE: As of May 28, 2014, the new curfew is midnight to 4am.
Drink Earlier and for Cheaper (8pm is the New 1am)
Many bars across town are offering special coup drink and dining deals. Here are a few that caught our eye:
- Get 50% off on both food and drinks at Haus Cafe x Bar from 2-8pm. (396 Ekamai Soi 24. 02-381-2396.)
- Get 20% off on both food and drinks during dinner time (5-10pm) at Hugo Bar & Eatery (39 Ekkamai Soi 12. 02-713-1292) until there’s no curfew.
- Catch the special “Coup Fashioned” cocktails with a mix of Glenkinchie 12, malt, chase rhubarb, creole and bitters available only this week at Vesper (10/15 Convent Rd. 02-235-2777. Until 9pm).
-Get special price cocktails at B125 and tapas from B90 daily from 5:30-7:30pm during the curfew period at Moulin (3/F, No. 88, Sukhumvit Soi Between Sois 5 and 9. 02-712-9348).
- Get 20% off food, mixers and all drinks from 5-11pm at Myst Thonglor (Rooftop/F, Grass, Thonglor Soi 12. 080-770-9800).
Drink at 24-hour Restaurants
While 7/11s are doing the unthinkable and actually closing, other 24-hour venues are keeping their doors open:
One of the best Mexican restaurants in Bangkok. Brave the late hours with some burritos (B252-282), tacos (B252-282), a choice of beers or margarita (B170).
114/19-20 Silom Rd. (Corner of Soi 4). 02-632-8588.
This popular after-clubbing diner stays open 24 hours a day (even now). Order some Singha or Leo to go with the tasty Thai food like khao tom gui (rice porridge with side dishes), ped palo (braised duck with Chinese herbs, B110) and yam pla salid (spicy salad with fish, B90).
Sukhumvit Rd. (opposite Soi 45), 02-259-0106.
Both the Mulligan’s on Khaosan and on Sukhumvit Soi 11 are open for after-hours drinks. You can find draught local and import beers with dishes like classic fish n’ chips (B340) and salt n’ pepper calamari (B200).
Lobby/F, Citadines Hotel Bangkok, 22/22 Sukhumvit Soi 11. 02-255-5025
2/F Buddy Building, 265 Khaosan Rd. 082-667-1131.
Party until 5am
Come Friday or Saturday nights you probably can't help but want to dance, and there are a few places that offer refuge (on most weekdays, too); just get there before 10pm and you can dance away till 5am.
- You probably have some names in mind on where to party till dawn. If you are around the early Sukhumvit area, you can have a "bash" at a couple of the big-name late-night clubs in the neighborhood.
- Most clubs in Thonglor-Ekkamai are currently closing around 9pm, but fear not, there are two "safe" places to get your drink on and keep you burning up the quarter mile.
- Done with dancing? Mid-sukhumvit also offers the option of a small and cozy Japanese bar to hide away all night.
Drink at Home
The best way to drink during the curfew is, of course, at home. So stock up on your beers with Bangkok’s two best delivery services.
Beervana Craft Beer Club: Get a 25% discount on all the finest craft brews and free delivery on orders of 12 bottles or more within the CBD. Members also get invites to regular tastings and special events. www.seekbeervana.com
Wishbeer: Set up by Frenchman Jerome Le Louer, they currently have around 50 beers and ciders from England, Germany, Belgium, Australia, Japan and America available, but are always willing to try and bring in your favourite tipple. Simply go to the website, register and then choose your poison. There’s a minimum order of six beers and it’s B150 for delivery (free if you spend over B2,000). www.wishbeer.com