Just opened, Dim Dim
(27/1 Sukhumvit Soi 33, 02-085-2788) is a candlelit, Chinese-themed cocktail bar that exudes oriental cool through vintage tea boxes and rows of waving lucky cats.
Bartenders whip drinks with Chinese twists like the Oolong Tea & Orange Sour (B280), a twist on the whiskey sour made with oolong tea and orange peel-infused Wild Turkey 81 bourbon. Just as exciting is the house-infused chrysanthemum vodka—try it in a shot (B280) or a cocktail like the Chrysanthemum Vanilla Fizz (with vanilla syrup, lemon, egg white and soda, garnished with chrysanthemum, lemon and orange, B280). Hungry? There are crispy Chinese pork platters (B320) and Hong Kong-style congee (B220).
While you're in the neighborhood, consider stopping by these other classic bars on Sukhumvit Soi 31, 33 and slightly beyond. There's also a handy map below.
1. Start your evening with a cleansing ale at Taproom
(51 Sukhumvit Soi 26, 087-460-2626), whose whopping 26 taps mean there's something new to try with practically every visit.
2. For some classic British pub grub and a pint, next stop by The Royal Oak
(595/10 Sukhumvit Soi 33/1). Their half chicken, served with boiled potatoes, vegetables and gravy is a steal at B295.
3. Steps away you’ll find the second branch of craft beer bar Hair of the Dog
(593/27 Sukhumvit Soi 33/1). Try the newly arrived Founders KBS Imperial stout (B580/bottle), an impressive 11.2-percent brew that’s aged in bourbon barrels.
4. Hopping over to Soi 31, the semi-private booths of Walden (7/1 Sukhumvit Soi 31) are just the place to imbibe a glass of Glenfiddich 12-year-old with green apple and soda (B200).
5. Heading slightly further up Sukhumvit, Gypsy Spells (Sukhumvit Soi 29, 02-662-3060) is especially worth a visit every Friday and Saturday night, when a three-piece jazz act—guitar/vocals, snare and double bass—set a sultry mood to go with the gypsy-meets-occult-meets-voodoo theme.
6. Next up it's finally time for Dim Dim, where the setting is undeniably retro, but the drinks are anything but old-fashioned. Read our full profile.
7. You're not done yet. Japanese izakaya Hanakaruta (36/4 Sukhumvit Soi 39, 02-662-7339) is one one hell of a place to get a good late-night drink. The selection of Japanese whiskies and sake is vast, as is evident from the gigantic wall of liquor bottles behind the bar.